Katie LaPotin, Red Alert Politics, May 6, 2013
Ohio Sen. Rob Portman took the time to chat about immigration, gay rights and his favorite types of beers with Buzzfeed Washington Bureau Chief John Stanton Monday night.
Here are five things we learned about Ohio’s junior senator during the interview:
1. WHILE PORTMAN WAS A “DIRTY HIPPIE” WITH LONG HAIR IN THE 1970S AND 1980S, HE ONLY SMOKED WEED ON OCCASION.
2. Portman was arrested while kayaking on the Yangtze River in China in 1984.
3. While working on a ranch on the Mexican border in Texas in 1977, Portman worked alongside nearly two dozen illegal immigrants making $6.00 a day.
4. Portman really loves his “Great Lakes” beer, and even got to meet the company’s CEO in an unusual way – by returning his lost wallet.
5. PORTMAN CAN SING, BUT NOT WELL ENOUGH FOR HIM TO QUIT HIS DAY JOB.