Katie LaPotin, Red Alert Politics, May 21, 2013
Comedy Central host Stephen Colbert thinks that President Barack Obama and his administration are involved in so many scandals today that he’s come up with a new gadget to help him decide which one he wants to poke fun each night on his show.
Dubbed the “Obama Scandal Booth,” Colbert’s latest toy looks like a phone booth – until you step inside of it, that is.
“Inside this booth are slips of paper, each with the name of a White House scandal – IRS, AP, Benghazi, immortal scorpion soldiers,” Colbert said on Monday night’s episode of “The Colbert Report.” “And just moments from now, ladies and gentleman, I will enter the booth and, like my colleagues, grasp wildly at any accusation that floats past.”
“Jimmy, let’s get ready to scandal,” he added, before he started dancing around like a fool inside his new toy.
The “Colbert Report” host even managed to get corporate sponsoring for his ‘scandal booth’ – car manufacturer Mazda.
“Mazda – it’s not your father’s Oldsmobile, cause it’s a Mazda,” he quipped.
The lucky scandals of the night Monday – Benghazi and the Internal Revenue Service.
On Benghazi, Colbert discussed a Public Policy Polling study which said that 42 percent of Americans didn’t know what country Benghazi was located in, as well as the controversy over the White House allegedly scrubbing its talking points emails to strip them of any references to terrorism.
“Yes, Benghazi is the biggest scandal since sliced bread was caught funneling money from Nicaraguan death squads,” he said.
Colbert also commented on the IRS scandal, which involves the federal tax collecting agency apologizing for improperly targeting the filings of several conservative organizations by giving their documents extra scrutiny over the past few years.
“A C4 is like a superPAC that doesn’t have to reveal its donors, which means they could be anyone – from one of the Koch brothers all the way to the other Koch brother,” Colbert jested. “And it’s all perfectly legal as long as politics isn’t the group’s primary activity – meaning that your 501(c)4 could spend 49 percent of its efforts producing ads calling Barack Obama a socialist, as long as it spends the other 51 percent doing something good for the community, like educating our children that Barack Obama’s a socialist.”
His guest Monday night was his ‘personal lawyer,’ Trevor Potter, who presented him with the official filing paperwork for his own organization, “Colbert SuperPAC S.S.H.,” which he then went on to rename ”Making America a better Tea Party Patriot 9/12 place to constitution America Tea Party nominally social welfare conservative political action Tea Party secret money liberty I dare you to deny this application of America Tea Party.”
“I wanna do something to just put a little bit more pressure on the IRS, ok?” Colbert told Potter, a former commissioner and chairman of the Federal Election Commission and general counsel to presidential candidate John McCain.