Michele Bachmann will not run for re-election in 2014

Katie LaPotin, Red Alert Politics, May 29, 2013

Former presidential candidate and Minnesota Congresswoman Michele Bachmann announced in an eight-and-a-half-minute long YouTube video Wednesday morning that she will not run for re-election in 2014.

In her announcement video, Bachmann discussed her many accomplishments in the House of Representatives over the past decade in the video. She specifically pointed out that she was the primary sponsor of the most recent bill in the chamber to repeal Obamacare, as well as the fact that House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) selected her to be one of the three people in the official House delegation that attended the funeral of the late British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher.

“My good friends: After a great deal of thought and deliberation, I have decided next year I will not seek a fifth congressional term to represent the wonderful people of the Sixth District of Minnesota,” Bachmann said. “After serious consideration, I am confident that this is the right decision.”

She also gave her thoughts on term limits, noting that she had been there long enough to adequately serve the people of the sixth congressional district, located in the Minneapolis-St. Paul suburbs.

“The law limits anyone from serving as president of the United States for more than eight years, and in my opinion, well, eight years is also long enough for an individual to serve as a representative for a specific congressional district,” she added.

The Minnesota Republican noted that her decision to withdraw from the race had nothing to do with the announcement by her 2012 opponent, hotelier Jim Graves, that he would seek the seat again in 2014. Bachmann beat Graves by a mere 4,200 votes out fo 356,000 votes cast in 2012 – despite outspending him nearly 12-to-1 in the race.

“My decision was not in any way influenced by any concerns about my being re-elected to Congress,” Bachmann said. “If I ran I would again defeat the individual who I defeated last year.”

Earlier this month Bachmann bought TV air time for ads, which is unprecedented given the race is still 16 months away, making Wednesday’s announcement even more shocking.

Bachmann’s 2012 presidential campaign is currently under investigation by the Office of Congressional Ethics for potential campaign finance violations. She is not a target of the investigation, however, and noted in her video Wednesday that the investigation did not factor into her decision to withdraw from the race. The Federal Elections Commission and Federal Bureau of Investigations are also looking into her 2012 presidential campaign for potential violations over payments to an Iowa state senator who did work for her campaign.

“And rest assured, this decision was not impacted in any way by the recent inquiries into the activities of my former presidential campaign or my former presidential staff,” she stated. “It was clearly understood that compliance with all rules and regulations was an absolute necessity for my presidential campaign. And I have no reason to believe that that was not the case.”

She was briefly considered to be a frontrunner in the race in the summer of 2011 after an unexpected win at the Iowa Straw Poll that August. Bachmann dropped out of the race the day after coming in sixth place at the Iowa Caucuses in January 2012.

Watch her announcement video below.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s