Katie LaPotin, Red Alert Politics, October 25, 2013
He may be a Republican superstar and potential 2016 presidential candidate, but, as he told The Des Moines Register, Ted Cruz isn’t that much different from the average Joe.
The political neophyte spoke with the state’s largest newspaper earlier this week after making his third trip in as many months to the key primary state to introduce the world to his softer side – the one where he’s just a 42-year-old married man with two doting daughters under the age of five.
So, from the mouth of Cruz himself, here are six things you probably didn’t know about the first-term Texas senator:
1. His dream job: To be a point guard for the Houston Rockets
“I’d love to be the starting point guard for the Houston Rockets, and I’m confident that there is no universe in which that will ever come to pass.”
2. His favorite food: “Anything with cheese on it.”
3. His least favorite fruit: The Avocado
“I despise avocado. It’s the only food I dislike, and I dislike it passionately. Which is ironic, because I’m Cuban, and my dad grew up with avocado trees in his backyard. My whole family eats avocados like crazy, but I can’t stand them.”
4. His favorite movie: “The Princess Bride”
“I’m a huge movie buff. Love watching movies. So we’ll often go and watch a movie.”
5. How he gets his exercise: “Running, lifting weights, occasionally playing basketball or tennis.”
6. His favorite thing to do to kill time: Playing video games on his iPhone
I “also play video games on my iPhone, far too much, my wife points out. And then just playing with my kids, spend a lot of time at the park, in the pool, in the aquarium with my girls, at the beach.”
Listen to Cruz spill his secrets to The Des Moines Register’s Jennifer Jacobs here.